Monday, December 23, 2019

Why Must Writers Blow their Brains Out?



courtesy Karsh.org

I know, I know, this is supposed to be a festive time of the year. It’s supposed to be a time of great cheer and good will toward men. And for me, it is. Who doesn’t love Christmas? But I just watched a documentary on the life and suicide by handgun of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas author, Hunter S. Thompson, and it got me to thinking, What’s with writers (especially famous ones) committing suicide?

Admittedly, the subject has fascinated me all the way back to my military school days when my second year English teacher, Frank Nash, introduced me to Ernest Hemingway, of which he was a sort of amateur scholar. Even before beginning our required reading, A Farewell to Arms, he pointed to the famous black and white Karsh photo of the bearded and sweater wearing Papa that hung on the wall above the blackboard (we had real black boards at The Albany Academy for Boys), and he talked on and on about the debate over whether or not Hemingway placed the barrels of the double barreled shotgun in his mouth, or he pressed it up against his forehead. While the end result was the same, there was something almost eerie in Nash’s description of both methods of suicide. Something I never forgot while reading all of Hemingway’s novels, and while becoming an amateur Papa scholar in my own right.

Let’s face it, Hemingway lived a life we could only dream about. A life I’ve tried to emulate in my own humble way. Hunter Thompson also did the same, but instead of facing down lions and angry bulls, he found his adventures with hallucinogenics and drugs of all kinds. Both men shared a love and passion for guns, something Thompson engaged in almost pathologically. According to his ex-wife, at one point he owned 22 different long and short guns and all of them were loaded.

Both men were rare talents and they became wealthy off their writing. They also enjoyed legions of fans. Why then would they decide to end it all in a bloody haze of spattered brain and bone matter? I guess the answer initially resides in the fact that we, as writers, spend our days alone. We have vivid imaginations and we tend to over think things. We dwell on stuff that irritates us. Like a pimple that suddenly pops out on the middle of your back, it’s impossible to lance. It pesters you night and day.

For Hemingway, he couldn’t write anymore. Weeks of electro-shock therapy destroyed his short term memory and it was an enormous struggle for him to put even two words together, much less a short story. His nerves were shot and so was his liver. One morning in July, he got up, went downstairs, grabbed his favorite Italian made shotgun, loaded both barrels and…well, you know the rest. It was a sad day for words and the world.

Many years later, Hunter Thompson would sit at his typewriter in the kitchen of his Owl Creek, CO, home and while his son and grandson were in the room next door, he typed out his epitaph.

No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won’t hurt.

He then put the barrel of his revolver in his mouth and pressed the trigger. Bye Bye Gonzo journalist.


Courtesy Thompsonmurder.com


Sylvia Plath killed herself, as did Virginia Wolf. David Foster Wallace cashed it in way too young by hanging himself. Richard Brautigan (a big influence on the young Zandri) ate his piece. And check out this one, Peter Tyrrell, the Irish writer, committed suicide by soaking himself in gasoline before lighting up one final smoke. Now there’s a man who hated himself.

But there is a kind of bright spot to all this literary carnage. Another one of my influencers, Jim Harrison, contemplated suicide many times, but stopped just short of it when he thought about his daughter. He died of natural causes while writing a poem.

As for me, I don’t see the sense in taking one’s own life before your regularly scheduled time is up. Life is too damn short to begin with, and to be totally honest, I’m having the time of my life and actually getting paid for it.

My problem is not robbing myself of my life, but not being able to steal more years. But the clock, she ticks away and there ain’t a damn thing we can do about it, other than live the life we have as best we can. If you find yourself down and out, remember, even the next beer and a pizza with extra cheese and pepperoni is worth hanging around for. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment