Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Here’s what I’ve Learned after Writing 45 Books







Yesterday I wrote The End, on my forty fifth full-length novel. At this point I now have 40+/- full-length novels in print, some of them traditionally published and agented, others published independently through my own imprint, Bear Media LLC. Up until the great indie revolution of 2008, and the introduction of the Kindle EReader and Kindle Direct Publishing, and all the independent publishers that sprang up because of it, I was relegated to writing maybe one novel per year and praying to God that my agent could sell it. If he couldn’t, it was back to the salt mines for Vince. 
But these days, I write as much as I want, when I want, and most of it gets published one way or another.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, as fiction writers, we are living in another golden age of genre fiction not realized since the early days of the Pulp serials back in 1930s, 40’s and 50s. It was a time when a writer could work for a penny a word and make a great living, so long as he or she was prolific, and naturally, very talented.

So after having spent the past eight years writing more novels than many more famous writers will ever write in a lifetime, including dozens of novellas and short stories, here’s a little of what I learned along the way.

--Discipline. Writing a lot of books takes disciple and dedication. It takes waking up in the morning, seating yourself at your writing desk and pumping out the words.

--Talent. The words you pump out must be good, if not great. There’s no pulling the wool over a reader’s eyes. They can tell when you’re feeding them garbage and in return they will reward you with terrible reviews and never read you again.

--Dedication. Like I’ve already mentioned, you need to be disciplined and dedicated. Making a living as a full-time fiction writer is not a sprint, it’s a long, slow, marathon. There will be times when you are exhausted and your bank account is in the red. You will want nothing more than to pack it in. Do not succumb to the dark side. Keep your eyes poised on the long term goal.  

--Naysayers. Never listen to the naysayers and the downers. If I’d listened to one of my best friends years ago who got in my face and said, “You’re not a writer!” I would never have written another word again. 45 novels, many trips trips to the Overall Amazon Top 5 Bestseller List (two number ones!), three spots on the New York Times Bestseller List, seven weeks on the USA Today Bestseller List, the ITW Thriller Award for Best Paperback Original (Moonlight Weeps), the PWA Shamus Award for Best Paperback Original (Moonlight Weeps), a Derringer Award Nomination (I’ve Got to Get Me a Gun), more than half a million bucks in advances, nearly a million editions sold, are but a few of the accomplishments that prove I’m a writer. Of course, I rarely ever hear from the “best friend” these days.

--Jealously. As writers, we live in our own worlds, so it’s easy to let our imaginations get the best of us. On occasion, we become suspicious and envious of others and their successes. Don’t allow this to happen. This isn’t a zero sum game. There’s plenty of success to go around. Just go out and grab your own little share of the pie.

--Rejection. Even after all my relative success, I still get rejected more than accepted. This isn’t Hemingway’s world where he handed a novel to Max Perkins and it was automatically published, warts and all. There are plenty of publishers who wouldn’t take on one of my books if a gun was pressed against their skull. Production companies like Mel Gibson’s and Stallone’s will be in love with one or more of my projects one day and the next, it’s crickets. That’s the nature of the game.

--Success. It seems to come in waves. You go two or three years of Meh, and then suddenly, you’re back on top. The books are flying off the shelves, you’re hitting all the lists, winning the awards, you’re being asked to do interviews with the likes of the New York Times. You’re appearing on Bloomberg TV and Fox News, and you’re a freaking rock star. And then, just as suddenly, it’s radio silence. Enjoy the successes, ride the rejections, and realize that this is a business of peaks and valleys. The highs are never that high and the lows are never that low.

--Discernment. Not everything you write deserves to get published. Yes, it’s never been easier for writers and would-be writers to bypass the traditional gate keepers if they so choose, and self-publish a title or a series. But that doesn’t mean you should. Hire a reputable editor who will tell you flat out, “This book is junk.” Sometimes it’s necessary to reject yourself. Don’t let hubris get in the way of your judgement, or your built-in shit detector. If a work is subpar and you know it, don’t publish it independently or traditionally.

--Fun. I do this for a living. I am a fan of writing and writers. I love typewriters. I love writing studios. I love the writer’s life and the romance of it all. I’ve written in cafés and coffee houses from LA to New York City, to Rome, to Paris, to Istanbul, to Casablanca, to Cairo, to Moscow, to Kathmandu, to Ho Chi Minh City and places I can’t even recall at the moment. As full-time writers and novelists we’ve been given a rare gift. We can work from anywhere. No one ever became a success just sitting in their living room and watching TV. There’s so much life to be lived. Writers should crave exploration and have an insatiable wanderlust. I know I do. So explore the world and write about it. Have fun.

Of course, I could go on and on, but I need to get back to my work in progress. I hope you’ve learned a little something from my journey. If it helps you make sense out of the writer’s life just a little, than I will have done my job. Writing is not easy, and being successful often comes with a price. For instance, I’ve been married and divorced twice, the latter breakup due to my “placing my writing above everything else,” or so my ex-wife claims. What a damn shame. But there’s nothing in the world that I’d rather be doing than putting words on a blank page and experiencing the rush of a newly published book. There’s nothing like it in the world, and there's no shame in that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment