Friday, July 12, 2019

When the Magic Rubs Off





So I've been invited to two cocktail parties tonight in New York City. They are put on by two of my publishers (on behalf of Thrillerfest), one of whom really wanted me down there. Instead, I'm choosing to spend the weekend, writing, fishing, eating, drinking, reading, living the life.

I shake my head and smile because there was a time not so long ago, I would have loved heading to the cocktail parties (and crashing a few also Haha), rubbing shoulders with some pretty big authors, schmoozing with editors, agents and booksellers, shaking hands and just generally kissing ass.

But things have changed.

Maybe it's the politics of it all, or perhaps it's the been-there-done-that-ness of it all. Perhaps it's my hybrid author business model. Hell, maybe at my age I just can't be bothered with it anymore. Plus I'm just a little obsessed with fly fishing almost as much as I'm obsessed with the daily word count, and it's supposed to be a beautiful weekend.

Listen, I'm all about supporting my fellow authors and paying a friendly visit to my publishers, but on occasion, it just feels better being away from New York City for a while...how did I put it during my acceptance speech for the ITW Thriller Award in 2015?...The ground zero for literary success and tragedy.

WWW.VINCENTZANDRI.COM

2 comments: