Saturday, April 12, 2014

Look At Me I'm Walking




Look at me I'm walking.
After three months spent sitting on my ass waiting for my surgically healed foot to heal, I'm not only walking but somehow managing a gimp-style jog that leaves me fairly exhausted after only a couple of miles. A word of warning: When your surgeon sits down with you to discuss an upcoming surgery, listen to him/her. You will spare yourself a lot of grief in doing so. I am such an idiot, I half listened to my doctor and in turn, assumed I'd be back in the gym after only a week or so.

Two weeks later when I had my stitches removed, only then did I realize the full extent of the surgery. I'd had a bunion the size of a walnut removed; a hammer two repaired with two screws, a tendon replaced, and a cracked bone also screwed back together with two more screws. There's a six inch pin that had been inserted in my toe which eventually got removed with the help of a pair of common construction pliers (no shit!).

In a word, my foot looked like I'd stepped on a landmine.

But all the time on my posterior did not go wasted. In that time I wrote the second in the Chase Baker series: Chase Baker and the Golden Condor. I also wrote the first draft of what might become a serial novel called Orchard Grove. I also wrote a third draft of The Breakup. All this, plus a script for Pathological which is being shot as a short movie in Albany, plus my normal journalism duties for Globalspec.

Maybe my foot didn't work, but I used the time to my advantage, and now it's time to get back into some kind of shape for my upcoming field research trip to Nepal and India for Chase III.

When you're down for the count, don't just lie there. Put the time to good use. Otherwise, you'll go bananas.

WWW.VINCENTZANDRI.COM

7 comments:

  1. Look at you, you're walking! And jogging! Congratulations for staying strong and positive. Most people can't.
    You mean lock n' load literally.

    I don't know if you remmie our email a few weeks ago, but you gifted me book 1 of Chase and I've pre-ordered the new one, I have some catching up to do!
    Why didn't you mention Vox? I just joined.
    Thanks for the...... great read? ....reminder of life.. ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you, you're walking! And jogging! Congratulations for staying strong and positive. Most people can't.
    You mean lock n' load literally.

    I don't know if you remmie our email a few weeks ago, but you gifted me book 1 of Chase and I've pre-ordered the new one, I have some catching up to do!
    Why didn't you mention Vox? I just joined.
    Thanks for the...... great read? ....reminder of life.. ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, thank God it wasn't your hand! That might have been a problem. Heal quickly, Ann Keeran

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very late getting into this discussion -- but you are very late in updating, so we are even? I broke my ankle in May 2016. I am still doing physical therapy. I have to wear a brace, just got it Wednesday. I get ya! Also, in 2010, I broke my tib/fib, same leg. I was in a rehab hospital for four months learning how to walk again. Then when I got home, another six weeks of PT. So, I feel ya!

    I've read The Remains and The Ashes -- WHERE IS BOOK THREE? I love Chase Baker as well. I wish you had more on KU, because my budget just doesn't allow me all the books I'd want. My landlord does want his rent, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take it from one who knows, always listen to your Doctor and investigate your health problems online, so that you know in advance what is the proper procedure for your type of injury.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super excited to get started on the Rebecca Stories! So glad I received your e-mail announcing the Remains and the Ashes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I feel your pain" he said...
    Had a full knee replacement in '08. I remember well relearning to walk normally and the time and pain involved. My other knee is bone on bone and my doctor and I are in the process of doing all of the other things that can be done before the eventual, guaranteed requirement for that one to be replaced as well.

    One guy I know has had three knee replacement surgeries. Wondering where that third leg is hidden. 8)

    ReplyDelete