Sunday, August 15, 2010

Confessions of an Amazon Ranking Addict!!!



The "Hot New Release!"; The Hot New Addiction!



I have to admit. Since The release of my new thriller, The Remains, in E-Book and Kindle, I've been addicted to checking my Amazon ranking pretty much every hour, on the hour. It feels good seeing your new novel listed as a bestselling "Hot New Release" in hard-boiled fiction or romantic suspense or even drama. And it feels really good seeing it climb the charts. It gives you a kind of high, especially when you remain in the bestselling rankings for nearly two months.

But what about those slower days. You know, the days when the sales aren't that stellar, and you drop off the top ten or twenty or even thirty for a time. It can reek havoc with your digestive system. And it can leave you, for an hour or so anyway, a little depressed.

Does anyone really understand how the Amazon ranking thing works and why it's become so important and addictive for authors to constantly be checking up on their numbers????

I know I'm not alone here. I speak with authors all the time who are always checking their rankings. I ask them, how are you doing on B&N or in Smashwords. They always say, "I don't know."