Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Traditional Book Signing goes Bust!!!



"Think Joe, think. Okay, J-O...."



This past Sunday I decided, more or less off the cuff, to do a 24-hour E-Book push for my recently pub'd noir thriller, Moonlight Falls. I posted notices everywhere from FaceBook to Twitter to Kindle Boards and more. Judging from the Amazon rankings, the novel closed in on bestselling numbers. All this means of course, that in the time it took for me to drink a large Dunkin Donuts coffee, I sold a whole bunch of paperbacks and Kindles. And, the sales continued for 24 hours as a global audience took notice.
Why am I telling you this?
As a novelist who's been published by the biggies, like Delacorte Press and more, I know from experience that I might blow an entire day at a proper book signing in some B&N and sell maybe four books if I'm lucky. Frankly, the time has come where I might give up traditional signings altogether for something that really works.

1 comment:

  1. From my perspective the book signing is so the fan can get an autographed copy of the book and meet the author. I've been to a few...flew to NY to get it.
    It means nothing to me to purchase my signed copy from a bookstore on-line. It's a fan event.

    ReplyDelete